Cheney Foundation Logo


The Ben B. Cheney Foundation

The Ben B. Cheney Foundation was established in 1955 and was funded by gifts from the estates of Ben B. Cheney and Marian Cheney Olrogg. The Foundation’s mission is to make grants to improve the quality of life in those communities where the Cheney Lumber Company was active.

The Cheney Foundation is seeking to diversify its investments to safeguard and grow its ability to make grants in Gig Harbor and the other communities it serves. Rental income from One Harbor Point will be used to contribute to the important work done by community organizations for many years to come.

Since 1979, the Foundation has made more than 100 grants worth nearly $3.5 million to 43 separate organizations and two scholarship programs in the Gig Harbor area. Some of these local grant recipients include St. Anthony Hospital, the Greater Gig Harbor Foundation, Harbor History Museum, Harbor WildWatch, Peninsula School District, NW Furniture Bank, Boys & Girls Clubs of South Puget Sound, Gig Harbor Little League, the Key Peninsula Community Center, Tom Taylor YMCA in Gig Harbor and others.

More information